According to Child Seat Safety, UK, 51% of all car seats are fitted incorrectly. Based on our experience, in Malaysia, More than 90% of car seats are either used incorrectly or wrongly installed.
Can you answer these questions confidently?
Did you participate in the installation?
Do you and your spouse both know how to install the car seat?
Do you still have the restraint’s manual?
Are you sure the restraint is suitable for your child?
It is very important to select, install and use your child restraint correctly as it is the only way to optimise the safety features of a car seat, keeping your child safe in the vehicle. If you can’t answer any of the questions above, you’ll need to attend our safety seat check!
A safety seat check is a one-on-one education typically takes 20-30 minutes, depending on your child restraint and vehicle. The technician will take all the time you need until you feel comfortable that your car seat is used and installed correctly. Below are the things that happen before, during and after the check.
Before the Safety Seat Checkup
- Be prepared to learn, not just watch the CPS technician install the car seat. They’re trained to teach you.
- Try to schedule an appointment one to two months prior to your baby’s due date just in case you deliver early. Many CPS technicians and their agencies require appointments several weeks in advance.
- If your child is already born, know your child’s weight and height, and bring your child with you. If possible, also bring another adult to help watch the child while you are learning.
- Install the seat in your vehicle before your safety seat checkup appointment. Be sure to use the instructions that came with the child safety seat and the instructions in your vehicle owner’s manual regarding safety seats.
- Bring the safety seat instructions and the vehicle owner’s manual with you to your appointment.
During the Safety Seat Checkup
During a safety seat check, a CPS Technician or Advisor will:
- Fill out a form to note a variety of information, including the safety seat type, location in the vehicle and misuse observations, if any.
- Ensure that your safety seat is appropriate for your child’s age, and size, and review factors affecting proper use.
- Review the safety seat instructions and the vehicle owner’s manual to ensure that both are being followed correctly.
- Ensure that an appropriate seating position in the vehicle is being used.
- Check the safety seat for recalls (if any), visible damage and an expiration date.
- Watch you install the safety seat(s) correctly using either the seat belt or ISOFix/LATCH system.
- Discuss the next steps for each child, such as when to change to the next type of safety seat.
- Discuss the benefits of everyone riding properly buckled in, including all adults.
- Discuss safety in and around the vehicle.
- Answer any questions you may have, so ask away.
After the Safety Seat Checkup
A safety seat checkup is considered a success if you can answer yes to the following questions:
- Did you participate in the installation?
- Do you feel confident about installing and using the safety seat correctly?
- Did the technician answer all your questions? If not, were you given another expert to contact or will the CPS technician follow up with you?
Upcoming Checkup Events
Want to attend a safety seat check up? Click to see our upcoming check events!
Previous Checkup Events
Below are some of the recent car seat check events that we have conducted. We welcome collaborations, hosting and sponsorship in order to bring this event nationwide to reach more users. Saving one life at a time.
Find a CPS Technician that is nearest to you here, or if you would like to know our next car seat check event, do contact us.